Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Change Is A Universal Constant


When are we "ready"?  What ultimately defines us?  Even if we align ourselves with a paradigm, many of us don't ultimately follow every tenet of it; most of us customize, taking what works for us and discarding what does not.  Even if we go with the analogy that Sarah Michelle Gellar's character used in "Buffy: The Vampire Slayer", it falls flat from the whole...

To whit, Buffy said, "I'm cookie dough. I'm not done baking. I'm not finished becoming who ever the hell it is I'm gonna turn out to be. I make it through this, and the next thing, and the next thing, and maybe one day, I turn around and realize I'm ready. I'm cookies. And then, you know, if I want someone to eat m- or enjoy warm, delicious, cookie me, then that's fine. That'll be then. When I'm done."

It's a fine sentiment that puts forward the realization that she's a work in progress, but are we ever REALLY done?  I have to wonder at any one person that stands up proudly and utters the affirmation that they know who they are and that they have "arrived".



Really?  So, you're now going to lie down and die?  Nothing is going to happen to change your world view, your opinions..."you"?

I struggled with the concept of who I was for many, many years...decades even.  As an Aspy and a natural mimic, I questioned what and who I was up until about three years ago...it didn't help that I had friends (and some former friends) that viewed me across a spectrum that included enough personalities, beliefs, and styles that each group never questioned my participation in their little group, regardless of how different it was from another group I'd just been hanging with. To quote my Twitter profile: "To make one Sithspit: Combine hard, soft, nice, nasty, quiet, loud, rum, milk, Jesus, Nietzsche, tender, cruel, love, hate, sweet, and sour. Blend and serve."

I never socialized well as a child; grade school was a special brand of Hell, and children can be far more cruel than people give them credit for.  I never really fit in with anyone, oddly enough, especially considering my later years, but we're getting to that.  When you combine an inability to adapt socially via typical, intuitive human means with a higher than average IQ...there will be problems.  I saw nothing wrong with reading a novelization for "Bring a Book Friday" in school...but when that book is the Star Wars novelization in SECOND GRADE, the other kids tend to look at you like you're a freak.

Which they did.

But over time, since I was on the outside looking in anyway, I had occasion to watch and learn some basic skills by watching how the popular kids acted; my natural talent at being a mimic paid off handsomely in that regard.  When I changed schools my senior year, I applied all I had learned by watching others to my interactions with the new people who didn't already know me, and, with a few minor hiccups, I was suddenly...well, not POPULAR, but ACCEPTED.  Now, some of you especially bright folks are already seeing the pitfall coming, but I'll mention it anyway.

What happens when you build a life out of what you've seen others doing, copying and imitating...?

You end up like I did a few years ago, looking at your life and wondering which parts were you and which parts were just "add-ons", essentially items like clothes to be mixed, matched, and discarded, but not really YOU.

Most men in their late 30's or so have mid-life crises where they try to recapture their lost youth...I spent mine wondering where the facade ended and I began.

So who am I?  What have I become, and what should I have been?  Am I EVER going to be finished and be what I'm supposed to be as an adult?  A father?  A husband?

A human?

Only two people I can think of literally have given me pause in my confusion; when asked what I was, they both just basically said..."You."

It took me a long, long time to accept that; I can be anything to anyone, and have, but the one thing I've learned from John and Jen is this:  Accept myself for who I am, because in the end, I am all and none of those things from my past and present...I'm a blend of them all.  This makes me as unique as anyone, i.e., not at all (what is "unique" when you are ALL different?)...but what it DOES make me is just...me.

Oh, and some of you may have noticed that in the last few years I've become more outspoken about some things, and less concerned with what others think; this is called "I'm content with who and what I am...get used to it, or go away."

I will always be a work in progress; only dead things don't ever really change or grow--you have to be alive for that.  So if I'm living, change is inevitable.  I may never be complete; but I will always be just me.  

And I'm ok with that.

10 comments:

  1. My last few years, and the last year in particular have been spent casting off and scouring away things I've thought were important or over that which I thought I had control.

    I'll keep scouring until I think I have found what there is that is me, that won't change. From there I'll start building again.

    I've added a bit or two recently, but even then, they don't deviate or conflict with the core. And adding still isn't the main goal.

    I'm tired of being who I'm not. There are parts of me that still aren't me. But some things we can't cast off if we want to survive or get by.

    Maybe a few more generations will let us be who we really are without making people around us pay for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm....not convinced that there are some things that won't change, or that we can't cast off; some things are certainly more resistant to change, but they just require more effort and/or time.

      Look at a forest vs. a mountain: It doesn't take much to burn down a forest...just a match! But it takes time and Herculean effort to move a mountain.

      Delete
  2. I think we're all going to continue to be works-in-progress until we die. I don't think we'll ever be finished until then, anyway. Why? Because whatever does not change dies. Where there is no change, there is no life. So we will always be evolving, morphing into something new, something different, and hopefully, something awesome. You are a wonderful and unique individual, I suspect that the person you are will always be awesome, no matter what the details. Hold on to that comfort when the ride gets bumpy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, whomever you are! ^_^
      Your name shows as "1352703e-e1c7-11e1-91b1-000bcdcb8a73", so I have no idea, but the sentiment is appreciated nonetheless.

      Delete
  3. I've had interesting experiences in my life and one of the most valuable was having my mind chemically pulled apart, piece by piece. As all the different 'parts' of me fell away I was left with the sudden realization that none of that was 'me'... that in all the chaos going on in my head, there was still a me that was calmly observing what was going on. A me unaffected by my emotional or physical state. A me I had never really known before.
    I also came to realize that none of what I considered important held any meaning outside of the human experience. No matter what my actions or creations, they have no inherent value but the value given by me and my surroundings. I have the Free Will to act as I choose as long as I'm willing to accept the consequences of my actions. Life is what you make it and it doesn't really matter what you make it in the grand scheme of things. In the end, we are left to our own devices.
    Asking "Am I done?" implies that there is some sort of goal or blueprint to follow. A better question would be, "What do I do?" Other good questions would be: "Is my current path taking me where I want to go?" or even "Who do I WANT to be?"
    That's always been difficult for me... choosing meaning. Life has no inherent meaning to me and I find it impossible to really care about the insignificant. See my problem?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not really. If life has no meaning, why are you alive? There must be something that you at least attach importance to. If life has no meaning, what does?

      Delete
    2. I didn't say life has no meaning. I said it has no inherent meaning. There is no 'right' choice in life, only choices... and consequences. And there are times when I ask myself, "If I can find no real meaning in life then why am I alive?" I am alive because I am not dead. Nothing more. I don't expect to find any greater meaning in my death so there's no advantage to ending this existence. Plus there's a small part of me that still wants to believe that logic is wrong and I may one day stumble upon an elixir that grants me the power to find meaning in the meaningless. Not that I don't think it possible, I see other people do it all the time. I just can't seem lie to myself like that.

      I used to believe all this stuff about my purpose and my destiny. That my life somehow held inherent meaning. That I was born special. That I would lead others to a new enlightenment. That I would show the world how to bridge the gap between religion and science. That... never really panned out for me. Instead I find out that I have a disease that makes you believe in shit that ain't true and causes you to assign an inflated value to your own potential. Sounded like me. And the other shit it said about me was accurate. So now what? I can't trust in my own thoughts?!?! Is my logic flawed? I don't think so but, then again, look what's telling me that.

      Ever since that bombshell, I've been in spiritual limbo. Going through the motions of life as if experiencing a movie with no plot or purpose. Or passing time watching others find their passions. I still spout my realizations on reality to any who might listen but I've long since given up hope on being taken seriously. I do have an appreciation for life in general I just can't find the validity in mine.

      Delete
  4. Life has meaning because I say it does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's the ONLY reason. I see someone got the point.

      Delete
  5. Yeah, but it has the meaning I say it has! :P

    (And it ain't no-how serious...)

    ReplyDelete